Trick or Treat Mon Amour is the name of my Witch's hat. I was just playing with paper yesterday and thought it would be fun to try making a Witch's hat. I love this time of year!! The smell of the leaves on the ground, the cooler air, the deep blue skies up against the colored trees and we can't forget HALLOWEEN!!!! I love Halloween. I have a collection of glamor witches, and old worn grandma-like witches that make their way out of storage to show their lovely faces for a month. I saw the Broadway show Wicked and if you did, you know that Elpheba was anything but a wicked witch! Love her!!! I had a hard time getting a picture that does the hat justice. At times I would look at the pic and say "that doesn't even look like a hat". Hopefully you can tell it's a hat.
I'll get back to the hat LOL! I used some paper from my September Swirlydoos kit. This paper is from My Mind's Eye. I don't have any formal instructions or a tutorial for you because I made it up as I went along. I had no idea if it was going to work so I didn't take pics. I'm sorry, but I will try to explain what I did. I know that you can find patterns online if you search for them. I decided to just wing it and was having too much fun to follow directions!!!
The first thing I did was grab a 12x12 of patterned paper. I love the damask page from MME. It's very glamorous :-) I twisted it into a cone shape (about a billion times) until I was happy with it. I used a glue dot to secure the bottom and then cut off the excess. It wasn't a perfect cut and the cone sat a little lopsided , but who cares! This is about having fun, and who wants a perfect hat anyway...boo! Then I guesstimated what size the brim should be. I cut an 11" circle with my Cricut on a coordinating piece of MME. I also decided to cut a circle out of thin cardboard (the kind that comes with the paper you order) to glue the brim to in order to give it some strength and stability.
I used a wet distress technique on the top of the hat. I worked the water in gently on the inside and outside of the hat. I dipped my fingers in the water and worked both sides at the same time. I did this to about 80% of the hat top. I wanted to keep the bottom stiff so that it would be more stable. The wet distress gives it an old, worn look which is what I was going for. Then I took some Black Soot Distress Ink and lightly went over the creases.
I used Glimmer Mist on the bottom of the brim so that it matched the top and to give it some sparkle. I used some more Distress Ink around the edges to cover the card board and then over the top to grunge it up just a bit more. I started working the card board so that it was more flexible and added an up-curl to one side of the brim and a bit more of a wavy edge around the rest of the brim. I also distressed the edge. My new October kit from Swirlydoos came with these really neat transparency doilies. I liked the way they looked on my hat, so arranged them on the brim and glued them down.
Then I took little strips of scrap paper to affix the top of the hat to the brim. This is where online instructions and patterns would have you cut a little extra on the hat and bend it out so you could glue it. Not me! I did this one the hard way. LOL It still worked out. I took some gorgeous Webster's Bloomers Trim and went around the bottom of the hat where it meets the brim. My dear friend Wendy made me some flowers and I used the big black one. Isn't it pretty!!! I had a feather spray in my stash that was perfect as well as some little flowers, doo-dads, and rhinestone flourishes. I had this spider web butterfly that I got at Micheal's and glued that to the top along with another feather. The last thing I did was add a potion to an ATC card and glue that onto the hat. In case you are interested the potion is how to get rid of smelly feet LOL!!!!