Home Photo Tutorials Video Tutorials Gallery Creative Resume Permissions Email Me

Faux Metal Tutorial

This was so much fun!!! My page titled The Journey (above this tut) features this faux metal. Here are the supplies you'll need...

Read More

Crepe Paper Carnations

How much do I love thee? Let me count the ways!! Isn't this flower adorable!? I ran across this tutorial on the web months ago and it has been rolling around my head ever since. It is so versatile making it perfect for every one one of your gorgeous creations. Let's go!

Read More

Calla Lily

I fell in love with this flower when I saw a video for it on the Heartfelt Creations website. So, if you don't want to read my tutorial you can click here to watch it over at HC. I did distress this up a little bit, which is not on the video. All right! Let's get started......

Read More

Faux Leather Tutorial

Making faux leather is easier than you think. I know, I say that about a lot of my tutorials. Have I been wrong? LOL...

Read More

Snowy Poinsettia

These flowers are just too cute! They are beyond easy to make too...BONUS!

Read More

Emerging Color Stamping Technique

Ok, I'll admit it...I really love stamping and the more I stamp the more I want to stamp. It's a wonderfully vicious circle. Emerging Color is one of those techniques that have some very basic and constant elements to it, but the creative license is all yours in how you present it. I'm sure if you Google or YouTube you will find a ton of tutorials and a lot of them will be very similar. Emerging Color boils down to this one word: resist. This is at its very core a resist technique. The whole trick to doing this is to remember that you will work in layers.

Read More


Saturday, July 31, 2010

Masking Tape Tutorial

Here is the tutorial for the masking tape technique that I used on my Shiver Me Timbers page.  It ends up looking like old, worn papery-leather. It is soooooooo simple.  Here is what you need:
  •  White card stock, or any color really.  I prefer white or manila.
  • Masking Tape
  • Vintage Photo Distress Ink
  • Ink Blending Tool
  • Mini Mister (aka My Little Man...get it LOL)
  • Smooch Spray (I used Log Cabin)
  • Paper Towel
 
The first thing that you do is tear off pieces of masking tape and begin to overlap them in any old random fashion.  Cover as much of the card stock as you think you are going to use, or cover the whole thing so you can make up extra for your stash.


Next, begin using your blending tool and the Vintage Photo Distress Ink to cover the tape.  I apply the ink directly to the tape and then mist a little bit after, and blot.  I know this is backwards from the way we all learned to use our Mini Mister and Distress Inks, but the reason I do it this way is so that I can get the color just right the first time rather than continually repeating the process.  Once I have the tape looking pretty much the way I want it, I mist it in a few places with water and let it sit along the edges of the tape and the grooves so that the color gets darker and sets in.


Finally, I took some Log Cabin Smooch Spray and misted the tape in spots.  I let it go on pretty heavy and while I had the spray in one hand, I had a paper towel in the other and after I sprayed, I used my towel to blot the color and move it around the page.  This gives me the effect of "pitted" spots of color.  Guess what...your done!  Now you can cut it into any shape, distress the edges further if you would like and use it on your page, a card, acrylic, or what ever!  Feel free to experiment with different colors of inks and sprays, paint, or whatever you like.  The possibilities are only limited by your imagination~

3 comments:

Sandi Smith said...

Awesome tutorial...the end product looks amazing!

Darien said...

Looks Amazing!!!!! I love what you did!!!!!!! Very Original! I have to try this!

Scrap Vamp said...

Thanks for the tutorial! The paper looks amazing!