Saturday, August 28, 2010
****Swirldoos September Kit****
Wow! This kit is so gorgeous. It was delivered today and I was working a page in my head and when I opened up the box, well, it was perfect!
I was rolling the idea of this page through my head. SNR was looking for pages that included items you find in a hardware store. I remembered reading in a book about how someone took foil tape and painted it. Strange how my mind works because I haven't looked at the book in over a year. Any way, that's kind of what I ended up with.
This is a pic of my DD at our last camping trip. I took a few snaps of her on this huge boulder on the edge of the river. This is one of those shots. The paper says "journey" and I felt that it went well with the photo. She has this contemplative look on her face as she looks down the river and I couldn't help but think of it as a metaphor for looking forward, the road ahead, your life is all in front of you.....I think you get the idea. I printed it in black and white and sanded up the edges a little bit by hand.
This page features my faux metal technique. It is the black damask-looking strip along the side. The tutorial is below this post. This was one of the items that I found in the hardware store. It is made using foil tape. In real life I think it is used for heating and air conditioning ducts and things. I really don't know, but this is what I've been told LOL! The other hardware store find a set of decorative brackets. I painted them in Picket Fence Distress Crackle Paint and then added a black pear on them. I placed them at the top and bottom of the faux metal.
There are 3 pieces of Dusty Attic; the long border along the side and the damask flourishes above and below the photo. The first thing I did was use my Pitch Black paint dabber and paint all 3. Then I covered them in Picket Fence Distress Crackle Paint. Once that dried I added a little bit of Adirondack Distress Embossing Powder in Black Soot. I really like the way they came out.
I made the two white flowers using a tutorial from a really talented and lovely person. I'm glad to call her a friend. Wendy posted this tutorial for a ballerina flower and I had to try them. Click here to go to her tutorial. I added some decorative buttons that I found at Micheal's. The reddish blooms are from Prima. The leaves are from a stamp I got from Heartfelt Creations. I stamped them using black archival ink and then used Bundled Sage Distress Ink. I cut them out and then used Peeled Paint Distress Ink around the edges.
Thanks so much for looking!!!!