Home Photo Tutorials Video Tutorials Gallery Creative Resume Permissions Email Me

Faux Metal Tutorial

This was so much fun!!! My page titled The Journey (above this tut) features this faux metal. Here are the supplies you'll need...

Read More

Crepe Paper Carnations

How much do I love thee? Let me count the ways!! Isn't this flower adorable!? I ran across this tutorial on the web months ago and it has been rolling around my head ever since. It is so versatile making it perfect for every one one of your gorgeous creations. Let's go!

Read More

Calla Lily

I fell in love with this flower when I saw a video for it on the Heartfelt Creations website. So, if you don't want to read my tutorial you can click here to watch it over at HC. I did distress this up a little bit, which is not on the video. All right! Let's get started......

Read More

Faux Leather Tutorial

Making faux leather is easier than you think. I know, I say that about a lot of my tutorials. Have I been wrong? LOL...

Read More

Snowy Poinsettia

These flowers are just too cute! They are beyond easy to make too...BONUS!

Read More

Emerging Color Stamping Technique

Ok, I'll admit it...I really love stamping and the more I stamp the more I want to stamp. It's a wonderfully vicious circle. Emerging Color is one of those techniques that have some very basic and constant elements to it, but the creative license is all yours in how you present it. I'm sure if you Google or YouTube you will find a ton of tutorials and a lot of them will be very similar. Emerging Color boils down to this one word: resist. This is at its very core a resist technique. The whole trick to doing this is to remember that you will work in layers.

Read More


Saturday, November 13, 2010

Postcard from Winter

This is another page made with my November kit from Swirlydoos.  This is for Angelica's Butterfly Challenge that she hosts every month.  This photo is nearly 4 years old.  It's hard to believe.  This was a pic I took at my DD's 5th birthday party.  Seems like yesterday.  We had her party at the Nature Center which is just down the road from our house.  The man from the center took the girls on a hike through the woods and was pointing out to them a beaver damn that was in a frozen pond.  It looked so beautiful.  Like frozen motion.  Really pretty.  That day was really windy and cold so I wanted my page to reflect how beautiful winter really can be.  Ice looks like dangling crystal and when the moon is bright is casts a blue hue over the snow. So this is my postcard from winter.



I made the flowers out of acrylic and vellum.  I've been wanting to make acrylic flowers ever since I saw one made by one of the most talented ladies in the craft, Irene Tan.  I really love how vellum adds a luminosity to anything it is near.  I used a Tim Holtx Sizzix cutting die, his grungy flowers for the entire flower.  I used the acrylic for the medium sized flower in the picture.  I cut and then embossed the acrylic using my Cuttlebug.  Then I grabbed Silver and Stream Alcohol Ink.  I added more silver to my pad than I did the stream color and then just blotted and twisted to give the acrylic a swirly look.  Then I got my tweezers and my heat gun and started to heat the acrylic so that I could bend the leaves.  I need to tell you that any embossing I did, was removed by the heat gun.  The acrylic becomes floppy and relaxed.  The relaxed part is what did away with the embossed features, so try to remember that when you do this. Embossing is futile if you heat it.   Then I glued the acrylic to two of the vellum daisy-like flowers.  Then I took the smallest flower that was cut from the die, also in vellum, and glued that to the top of the acrylic flower.  I added a pearl and some diamond stickles and there you have it.  Easy Peasy!!!  Really!
Thank you so much for stopping by! 

7 comments:

Cindy Gay said...

Love the white fibers and the toning effect on the photo.

2amscrapper said...

I love the total winter effect and thanks for explaining how things worked for you making Irene's flowers. They look great.

Stay True To God said...

Wow Lisa what a GORGEOUS page!!!! I absolutely love your flowers and tips... thank you!! :) hugs... Tracy

Vija said...

TFS how you made the flowers...they are absolutely gorgeous. I really want to give these a try!

Scrapamum said...

Absolutely gorgeous Lisa!!!!!

Vicky Alberto said...

beautiful

Kath Blommestein said...

This is such a beautiful page, I love all the details you have added!! Amazing!