Saturday, July 31, 2010
Shiver Me Timbers!!!
***Swirlydoos August Kit***
AARRGGH ye ole chum bucket! This was a fun page to do. The photo was taken at our most recent camping trip. It was pirate weekend at the campground we went to and it was a lot of fun. I uploaded the photo to www.photofunia.com and placed my photo on the wanted poster. The site is so easy to use and best of all it is FREE! I downloaded a lot of clipart and used a masking tape technique for the circle behind my large chipboard flourish.
The paper is from 7 Gypsies and Creative Imaginations Beloved line. I covered the large chipboard flourish in the paper from Beloved. I inked around the edges and then painted a few places with Distress Crackle in Rock Candy. Once the crackle, well...crackled, I then went back over it with some distress ink and rubbed it into the cracks with my fingers and then lightly wiped it down with a damp cloth so as only to remove the ink on the top and not down in the cracks.
Next, I created the circle behind the flourish using a masking tape technique. It is sooooooo easy! I provided a tutorial and it is right below this post. Just scroll down a scooch and you'll see it. I decided to add some rub ons as well. I was looking to give it a bit more of a rich, pirate-y feel. I downloaded the pirate coins, map and the Jolly Roger. I cut out thin card board and used that to paste my coins to. This way they have some substance to them and the paper won't curl. I then added a little bit of glue in small random places on top of the coins. This is so that when I used my distress ink on them it would end up going on heavier where the glue is and give the coins a dirty (as in dirt! I know what you were thinking LOL) look to them. After I used the ink, I added some rock candy stickles to the sails on the ships and little black pearls to the eyes on the skulls. For the Jolly Roger I decided to glue this to a piece of manila card stock. I distressed the heck out of and then inked it. Finally I used a wet distress technique to make it look more like aged linen. I used a similar technique on the treasure map, only I didn't wet distress it as much.
Those gorgeous blue flowers, and the cute little white ones came in my kit and the black vine was from a past kit. I threw in some pearls and jewels on the flourish chip board to represent the pirate's booty! ARRGH! I also threw in a key and a lock for good measure! Now, it wouldn't really be a girly pirate if there wasn't any pink......so I added two pink butterflies.
I hope you enjoyed this and that you try the masking tape technique!!! TFL~